Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The title of this blog becomes more true every day

"Las calles aquí son rios." That was going to be the name of this post, because the streets are running like rivers with all the rain here. Last night was the first I spent legitimately cold and this morning the first with wind. We´re supposed to get some sun on Thursday though.

I can see now why Xela has stone archways across some streets and sidewalks two feet higher than the streets between them: Rain. The little 8 yr old living in my house here hasn´t had school most of the week because of it and I wouldn´t want to send out my kids in it either. Even if they didn´t fall into a foot of water, they´d get sick from the damp and the cold. I mean, this is no South Dakota winter or anything, but it is very very wet and fairly cold. This afternoon is quite a bit better though.

I have a meeting on Thursday to get to know the trade org I´ll be working with. So far it´s been Spanish classes from 8 to 1 and most of the afternoons off. A friend and I found a great little bookshop/café near the Parque Central (downtown) that we´re keeping a secret. Me gusta.

Still healthy, family is okay (I´ll have to make a post on that), and the weather has to let up sometime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad is not liking the rain either. He does not know when he will plant beans. The musk thistle have grown afoot have started to head. Shane won their baseball game last night against Chamberlain-a victory is very sweet. So I guess I'm glad we got up at 5 am to register for classes in Norfolk, only to get him home in time to drive in the opposite direction to Chamberlain. Take care and keep dry. Luv MOM

Ona said...

ok, the news has been pretty limited lately. Who's going to read this when you don't add something. Anyway, let us know how you are doing, and if you have time, what you've been up to. Love, Mom